Monday, May 18, 2009

Inside Out Mini Monday

My original design for this week's mini quilt was thwarted by how much I liked the side with all the seams. This isn't the first time I've noticed and enjoyed the "wrong" side, but it is the first time I changed everything to highlight it.


What really sold me on the idea of featuring the raw edge side was the way the seams looked. I can be lazy sometimes about changing thread and at the time I was starting to piece this quilt, I was using an orange thread both as bobbin and top thread. I found that I really liked the way the orange contrasted with the whites and other light colored fabrics and how it emphasized the lines of the concentric piecing.


Once I decided that I was going to feature the raw edges, I realized I had a second design question to ponder. Did I want the top to look like the underside of a quilt, meaning that the fabric shown was always from the wrong side? I actually didn't want that. So, I had to piece all the blocks with wrong sides facing to make sure that the "right" side of the fabric faced out. Sound confusing?


When I stitched with my own hand dyed fabrics or with whites and solid linens, the right side/wrong side issue wasn't really present. But when I used commercial prints, I really had to pay attention because, after years of sewing with the right sides together, doing the opposite is no easy feat.


I also went back and forth about how to quilt and bind this little quilt and, in the end, decided to go with simple stitching in white thread. I wanted the quilting to be there, but not overt. The choice of binding fabric was partly dictated by the orange thread used to piece the top and partly influenced by my plan to photograph the quilt against a gray background. Orange and gray do look awfully good together, don't they?

29 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

what a fun mini quilt! i can imagine that it would be very hard to sew it inside out. and i love orange and grey together, too. nice job!

Tracy said...

Hello Malka,

My name is Tracy Jackson from Fabric.com. For mentioning us on your blog, I have a special gift for you and your readers.

At your convenience, please call me at 1-888-455-2940 ext. 214 or you can email me at tracy@fabric.com.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Tracy Jackson
Affiliate Manager

P.S. Would you like to earn up to 10% commission? Don't leave money on the table. Call or email to discuss in detail!

Sarah said...

SO COOL! I love the "wrong" side look.

lesthook said...

Very cool! I did an orange pile (op) challenge on Pat Sloan's group and have learned I really love orange accents! Looks great on yours.

Isa said...

Hi
You are so creative.
What a fun idea. I like that the quilt becomes three dimensional, if that make sense

Carmen Rose said...

I LOVE the texture this gives the piece! I may have to explore using this in a project I'm working on, I really love the way it looks here! Thanks for the inspiration!

Robyn said...

What a cool look!

Janet said...

I love it when a revelation just hits you in the face. I too use leftovers of different bobbins colors because I'm lazy but now I have an reason to do so.

Anonymous said...

The colors and texture are great together, makes me want a big one on my bed!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Interesting! I was actually worried half way through that the right sides of the pretty fabrics would be facing into the batting! Good thing you fixed it!

Victoria said...

Very innovative and original, really wonderful!

Bettina said...

QUE HERMOSO!!!!!SO LOVELYYYYYY!!!!

niki said...

Oh how I love mini-quilt Mondays. It's such a great way to try out new techniques.

Chveya said...

Mondays were once dreaded and loathed, now I look forward to mini quilt Mondays. Yeay Monday!

Kristin L said...

Nice textures. The orange binding with the orange "seams" was an excellent choice.

Andi said...

It's so important to be able to run with your inspiration, no matter where it takes you.
Andi :-)

Amy Schimler-Safford said...

I love this quilt, beautiful results.

cheryl said...

Malka--I received the book last night about 7:00 p.m.!!! Love it---spend all evening reading/looking/getting inspired. I have 2 more days of school, and then I think I'll be sewing all summer vacation!

Love your Monday quilt this week, too.

melissa s. said...

this is genius!!! I also fall in love with the back of projects sometimes, especially embroidery. great idea!!

dutchcomfort said...

What a wonderful experiment with greatest result! Love to see all your quilting experiences!

Sara said...

Gwen Marston says that one of the joys in working with SOLIDS is that they don't have a wrong side! So for those who want to try this inside-out idea--maybe solids is the way to start. You would have no worry about the "right" side.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Wonderful. How do you finish your bindings?

Stephie @ Narrative Self said...

I've just come across you via flickr and I'm so pleased! Your work is very inspiring and I'd love to know how long you've been quilt-making and what your background is - is there anything on line?!

Two Pretty Little Skirts said...

Go get your award over at my blog!!

p.s. I love the inside out quilt...very creative!

j. wilson said...

love, love, LOVE this idea! it is perfectly inspiring and i totally understand. swoon!

Kris said...

Lol! I think sewing "inside out" would be really hard to do! Lovely, lovely quilt. I am really enjoying mini quilt Mondays. Any minute now I'm going to join in.

Bobbi said...

Hi fellow Austin-ite! Love your blog. Just found it via Wee Wonderfuls. :)

debra cooper said...

I'm definitely a raw edge kind of girl. Your work looks fabulous with a raw edge!! The texture and depth is amazing!

Anonymous said...

This is STUNNING!